Registered Veterinary Technician
Primary Function: Under the supervision of the Director of Veterinary Services, cares for the animals under the care of the Medical Department for treatment or surgery, and maintains Veterinary department area and equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides oversight with Veterinary Assistants (AHT).
- Prevents disease and infection through the proper administration of health examinations, vaccinations, diets and daily treatment and observation of the animals.
- Observes animals in shelter for signs of illness or injury and reports these to Veterinarian, and/or treats per agency protocols and acceptable industry practices. Responsible for performing initial physical exam.
- Prepares animals for treatment or surgery and assists Veterinarian during treatment or surgery.
- Administers medications and/or treatment to animals as directed by the Director of Veterinary Services.
- Safe and humane intake and release of privately owned animals entering shelter for Veterinary care.
- Segregates and isolates animals as necessary to prevent the spread of disease and infection.
- Euthanizes animals.
- Maintains inventory of medications and supplies as required ensuring required amount of supplies are maintained and available. Orders medication through appropriate vendors and processes invoices as required with the finance department.
- Provides food and water for animals under specialized veterinary care as directed by supervisor andas required by department protocol.
- Cleans and disinfects animal enclosures under specialized veterinary care as directed by supervisor and as required by department protocol.
- Trains staff and volunteers on the proper care and handling of animals to prevent the spread of infection and disease.
- Provides accurate and friendly service to the public when advising them of the health of the animals or answering general questions.
- May assist field staff during rescues, cruelty investigations or disasters.
- Cleans and maintains all Veterinary department areas and equipment to ensure a sanitized and safe environment for staff and our animals.
- Maintains a high level of communication and works collaboratively with all personnel in a manner that is consistent with agency policy.
- Assists in coordination and operation of all aspects of foster programs.
- Performs other duties, as necessary to improve the functioning of the Veterinary Services Department and the Society as a whole.
JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Obtain and maintain licenses and/or permits required by state law and the agency.
- Maintain a high level of animal health & sanitation.
- Successfully detect symptoms of sickness in animals and efficiently monitor the animals for continued health on a regular basis to maintain a high level of animal health & sanitation.
- Work with and restrain animals of all sizes.
- Prepare written reports and maintain records as required.
- Input all medical information into paw trax daily.
- Work well and communicate effectively with the public, fellow employees and volunteers.
- Originate and execute projects with little or no supervision.
- Express ideas effectively orally and in writing and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Perform the job in professional manner and work efficiently under pressure. Show maturity and good judgment.
- Adapt to different support needs created by varying work styles.
- Successfully complete all training courses mandated by state law and agency.
- Work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays and stand by.
- Medications commonly used in Veterinary care, and their proper use and dosage.
- Symptoms of common disease of dogs and cats.
- Proper methods of safely handling and restraining a wide variety of animals.
- Animal Husbandry, breeds and nutritional needs.
- Knowledge and proper usage of common equipment used in Veterinary practice.
- Various species of animals including exotic species.
- Various kinds of animal behavior.
- Federal Food and Drug Act covering legend or prescription drugs.
- California Veterinary Practice Act.
OTHER ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- A valid California Driver’s License and ability to maintain good driving record.
Experience & Training:
- Must possess a valid license (certification) as a Registered Veterinary Technician in the State of California.
- 2 years practical experience as an RVT
- Ability to lift 50 – 75 lbs. on a regular basis
- Extensive direct handling, carrying and restraining of animals, both large and small and carrying of supplies and equipment
- Extensive stooping, bending and carrying
- Manual dexterity sufficient for handwritten documents
- Must be able to tolerate loud animal noises and odors for extended periods of time
- Endurance sufficient for standing and walking during entire shift
- Occasional running to apprehend loose animals evading capture
- Dealing with possible unruly, vicious and dangerous animal and impounding the same safely and humanely
- Possible exposure to hostile and over emotional public
- Heavy and fast paced workload; strenuous physical activity
- Possible exposure to parasites and infectious diseases
Application Deadline:open until filled
$16-18/hr. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits.
This position works out both of our South Bay Pet Adoption Center in Hawthorne & Long Beach P.D. Pitchford Companion Animal Village.
Qualified candidates, please submit a resume to Human Resources @ 323-730-5335 or email to jobs@spcaLA.com.