spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop
spcaLA is pleased to offer a Pet Care Patch for Junior Girl Scouts (8-11 years old)! Earning this patch teaches animal-loving Juniors more about animals, including responsible ways to care for pets and different ways to help animals in their communities.
What is the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop?
This workshop provides attendees with the opportunity to complete the requirements to receive a spcaLA Pet Care Patch.
Are you the leader of a troop of Brownies or Cadettes? Please contact us. Priority registration is given to Junior troops, but if you lead a troop of scouts other than Juniors, contact us to determine space availability and/or appropriateness of registration.
spcaLA'S Pet Care Patch Requirements
Instructions: Complete the four activities listed below.
Taking Care of Business
Take care of a pet — yours or someone elses (friend, neighbor, family member, etc.) — for two weeks. Worksheets are included in the registration packet to help you plan and track your responsibilities.
Adventures with my Pet!
Use the template included in the registration packet to create a scrapbook about your pet — or be creative and make your own design! (If you dont own a pet, create a scrapbook about the animal you cared for in Activity 1.)
Activity of your Choice
Complete one of the activities listed below using the worksheets included in the registration packet.
- Making a difference — How can you support an organization in your area that helps animals? Note: If you are interested in pursuing an award in the future, we recommend completing this activity because it will help you start to create a plan to help an organization.
- Possible Pets — What kinds of pets would you like to own?
- Pets and Vets — How can you make sure your pet stays healthy and happy?
- Healthy Eating — What kind of food is best for your pet?
Attend the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop.
Attending the workshop fulfills the remaining requirements for the patch. Take a tour of the spcaLA shelter, meet the animals, and learn more about how you can help pets!
- Body Language — Learn how to talk with dogs and cats.
- Staying Safe — Learn how you can stay safe around dogs you dont know.
- Pet Overpopulation — Learn about the problem of overpopulation and what you can do to help.
- Shopping Spree! — Lets pretend youve just adopted a new dog or cat Visit our pet supply store and go on a shopping spree for everything you need! (Parents, dont worry, its all imaginary!)
The workshop includes a tour of our animal adoption facilities, materials for activities, a Pet Care Patch with spcaLA logo, and refreshments. There is a $10 donation per child to cover the cost of materials and patches.
In order to reach as many students as possible, there is a minimum requirement of six attendees to attend each workshop. Workshops can hold a maximum of 35 students. Multiple troops may attend the same workshop.
spcaLA P.D. Pitchford
Companion Animal Village
& Education Center See Map
7700 East Spring Street
Long Beach, CA 90815
South Bay Pet
Adoption Center See Map
12910 Yukon Avenue
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Please see below for upcoming dates.
P.D. Pitchford Companion Animal Village & Education Center
- October 12th: 4pm–7pm
- December 14th: 4pm–7pm
- January 25th: 4pm–7pm
- March 15th: 4pm–7pm
- May 17th: 4pm–7pm
South Bay Pet
- September 8th: 9am–12:00pm
- September 8th: 1:30pm–4:30pm
- September 15th: 9am–12:00pm
- September 15th: 1:30pm–4:30pm
- June 8th: 1:30pm–4:30pm
- June 8th: 1:30pm–4:30pm
Are you interested in registering for the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop? Advance payment is required. Full or partial participant cancellation must be received three weeks prior to scheduled workshop date to receive full refund, minus 10% processing fee. Cancellations received less than three weeks prior to scheduled workshop are not eligible for a refund.
Please feel free to contact the Humane Education department if you have any questions at HumaneEducation@spcaLA.com or (310) 676-1149, ext 227.