spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop
spcaLA is pleased to offer a Pet Care Patch for kids (ages 8-11)! Earning this patch teaches young animal-lovers more about animals, including responsible ways to care for pets and different ways to help animals in their communities.
Due to the popularity of our original workshop, designed specifically for Girl Scouts, this workshop has now been expanded to welcome all girls and boys between the ages of 8 and 11!
What is the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop?
This workshop provides attendees with the opportunity to complete the requirements to receive a spcaLA Pet Care Patch.
spcaLA'S Pet Care Patch Requirements
Instructions: Complete the four activities listed below.
Taking Care of Business
Take care of a pet — yours or someone elses (friend, neighbor, family member, etc.) — for two weeks. Worksheets are included in the registration packet to help you plan and track your responsibilities.
Adventures with my Pet!
Use the template included in the registration packet to create a scrapbook about your pet — or be creative and make your own design! (If you dont own a pet, create a scrapbook about the animal you cared for in Activity 1.)
Activity of your Choice
Complete one of the activities listed below using the worksheets included in the registration packet.
- Making a difference — How can you support an organization in your area that helps animals? Note: If you are interested in pursuing an award in the future, we recommend completing this activity because it will help you start to create a plan to help an organization.
- Possible Pets — What kinds of pets would you like to own?
- Pets and Vets — How can you make sure your pet stays healthy and happy?
- Healthy Eating — What kind of food is best for your pet?
Attend the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop.
Attending the workshop fulfills the remaining requirements for the patch. Take a tour of the spcaLA shelter, meet the animals, and learn more about how you can help pets!
- Body Language — Learn how to talk with dogs and cats.
- Staying Safe — Learn how you can stay safe around dogs you dont know.
- Pet Overpopulation — Learn about the problem of overpopulation and what you can do to help.
- Shopping Spree! — Lets pretend youve just adopted a new dog or cat Visit our pet supply store and go on a shopping spree for everything you need! (Parents, dont worry, its all imaginary!)
The workshop includes a tour of our animal adoption facilities, materials for activities, a Pet Care Patch with spcaLA logo, and refreshments. There is a $10 donation per child to cover the cost of materials and patches.
In order to reach as many students as possible, there is a minimum requirement of six attendees to attend each workshop. Workshops can hold a maximum of 35 students.
spcaLA P.D. Pitchford
Companion Animal Village
& Education Center See Map
7700 East Spring Street
Long Beach, CA 90815
South Bay Pet
Adoption Center See Map
12910 Yukon Avenue
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Please see below for upcoming dates.
P.D. Pitchford Companion Animal Village & Education Center
- January 25th: 4pm–7pm
- February 22nd: 4pm–7pm
- March 15th: 4pm–7pm
- May 17th: 4pm–7pm
South Bay Pet
- There are no workshops at this time.
Are you interested in registering for the spcaLA's Pet Care Patch Workshop? Advance payment is required. Full or partial participant cancellation must be received three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop date to receive full refund, minus a 10% processing fee. Cancellations received fewer than three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop are not eligible for a refund.
Please feel free to contact the Humane Education department if you have any questions at HumaneEducation@spcaLA.com or (310) 676-1149, ext 227.