Spaying & Neutering
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- One cat and her offspring can produce 370,092 cats in seven years.
- One dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in six years.
- Every day in the U.S., more than 70,000 puppies and kittens are born.
- As many as 17 million dogs and cats are killed each year in the U.S. because there are no homes for them.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Spay or neuter your companion animal!
- Sponsor a spay or neuter for your friend’s or relative’s companion animal.
HOW & WHERE
Ask your pet’s veterinarian about spay/neuter surgeries or click here for a listing of low-cost veterinary service providers.
CHECK OUT THE COST OF NOT SPAYING OR NEUTERING
Your male dog smells a female in heat and repeatedly digs and jumps out of the yard…
- Repairs to damaged fence and lawn$150
- Cost to raise height of chain link fence 2 feet$50
Your male dog gets picked up by animal control as a stray, he is held for three days…
- Impound fee and 3-day Board fee$75
Live in Los Angeles? Fines for having an unsterilized cat or dog over four months start at $100
Your female dog goes into heat—all over your new rug. Or, your sexually mature male cat decides to mark your living room as his territory…
- Carpet cleaning$100
Your male dog gets into territorial fights with other dogs…
- Vet bills to repair torn ear$200
Your female cat goes into heat, and tears out your screen door to meet the boys…
- New door$150
Your female dog accidentally gets pregnant and has 6 puppies…
- Vet fees for complications$500
- Supplies, vaccines and de-worming for puppies$300
- Advertisement and placement fees$100
- Medical treatment for you when she bites to protect puppies$75
Like 60% of all unneutered dogs, your male dog suffers from a painfully enlarged prostate, and succumbs to prostate cancer…
- Veterinary care for prostate disease$200
During his lifetime your male dog impregnated 50 neighborhood dogs, each of which produced litters of 6 puppies. Of all his pups, 70% will eventually be housed in shelters and euthanized, simply because there aren’t enough homes for them. This costs millions in tax dollars.
THE RIGHT CHOICE
You just had your animal altered and paid between $80–$160. Congratulations! You just saved thousands of lives, and possibly over $2,000.