Beginning today, Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles (spcaLA) pet adoption centers in Long Beach and Hawthorne will accept donations by drop-off, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9am to 10am. All pet adoption centers and businesses remain closed to the public, however shelter staff continue to care for the animals, providing nutrition, veterinary care, and enrichment.
“We appreciate everyone’s offer of help – from donating to adopting. We have come up with a way to do both while keeping the community and our staff safe,” said spcaLA President, Madeline Bernstein. “People come together during difficult times, and this is no different.”
spcaLA is in need of:
• Most Urgently: Bully sticks, Earth Animal sticks, brand-new blankets & towels, durable dog & cat toys, canned dog & puppy food
• Also Needed: Kitten Replacement Milk (KMR) & bottles, canned and dry pet food (kitten/puppy/dog/cat), heating pads
• spcaLA cannot accept donations of opened food or treats, nor can we accept used blankets, towels, or toys at this time.
When and where to drop-off:
• 9am to 10am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, starting Monday, March 30th.
• spcaLA South Bay Pet Adoption Center (12910 Yukon Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250) OR spcaLA PD Pitchford Companion Animal Village & Education Center (7700 E Spring St, Long Beach, CA 90815) during drop-off hours.
How to drop-off:
• Pull up to the donation drop-off pallet at South Bay or Long Beach (in front of the ADOPTIONS entrance at Long Beach).
• Unload your donations directly onto the donation drop-off pallet, then return to your vehicle, and go back to being Safer at Home.
• If there’s another donor ahead of you, remain in your vehicle until they’ve completed their donation and safely returned to their vehicle.
• If you’d like a receipt: take a photo of your donation and send it to funddevelopment@spcaLA.com.
For the safety of the staff and animals, spcaLA asks donors to please not linger, or exit vehicles for a purpose other than dropping off a donation, and to leave pets safely at home.
More Ways to Donate Needed Items:
• Purchase needed items from the spcaLA Marketplace at a 15% off discount, and we’ll deliver they will be delivered to the shelter. Email marketplace@spcaLA.com to get started. Pet food and supplies can also be purchased via email for no contact pick-up for pets at home.
• Use Amazon or another delivery service to send food, litter, treats, and toys to spcaLA Donations, 7700 E Spring St, Long Beach, CA 90815.
• spcaLA is also accepting donations online at spcaLA.com
spcaLA is offering pet adoptions by appointment. Interested adopters may go to spcaLA.com/covid19/adopt for more information. spcaLA aims to get as many animals into forever homes as possible during this time, and is also looking towards future intake. “We anticipate an influx of animals as this continues and people are unable to care for their pets,” said Bernstein.
For updates, please go to spcaLA.com or follow spcaLA on social media @spcaLA.