Los Angeles, CA– Angelenos are not accustomed to cold weather and neither are our pets. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles (spcaLA) offers the following tips to keep your pets safe.
Winter Weather Tips:
- Make sure your pets’ identification tags and microchips are current.
- Pets must have a warm, dry place to sleep, and they are always safer inside.
- Dogs (and some cats) of all sizes can benefit from a sweater or jacket to keep them warm. Make sure the clothing is intended for pets and is the correct size.
- After being outside, wipe off wet paws, legs, and stomach.
- Don’t leave a pet inside a car during cold weather. Temperatures can quickly drop and become unsafe.
- Keep an eye on older or infirm pets as they are more sensitive to colder weather.
- Brush your pets regularly to promote a healthier coat and circulation. Heaters make the air dry, which depletes moisture from your dog’s skin and fur.
- Add blankets to your pet’s emergency preparedness kit.
- When travelling by car, be sure your pets are secure in a crate or with a seat belt harness. Skidding with an unsecured pet can be catastrophic.
- Don’t leave pets unattended with a portable heater.