Advanced Pet Care Workshop
WHAT IS INCLUDED
This workshop includes a tour of the shelter and interactive lessons on responsible pet care, pet overpopulation, animal communication, and safety around animals. It is 2 ½ hours long and includes a snack, spcaLA give-a-ways, and an spcaLA Friends for Life iron-on patch.
Each registration comes with a pdf download of a packet of activities that participating children are invited to complete before or after the workshop. A link to the pdf will be emailed to you upon registration. The packet consists of the activities listed below.
- TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS Take care of a pet — yours or someone else’s (friend, neighbor, family member, etc.) — for two weeks. Worksheets are included in the registration packet to help you plan and track your responsibilities.
- ADVENTURES WITH MY PET! Use the template included in the registration packet to create a scrapbook about your pet — or be creative and make your own design! (If you don’t own a pet, create a scrapbook about the animal you cared for in Activity 1.)
- ACTIVITY OF YOUR CHOICE Complete one of the activities listed below using the worksheets included in the registration packet:
- Making a difference — How can you support an organization in your area that helps animals? Note: If you are interested in pursuing an award in the future, we recommend completing this activity because it will help you start to create a plan to help an organization.
- Possible Pets — What kinds of pets would you like to own?
- Pets and Vets — How can you make sure your pet stays healthy and happy?
- Healthy Eating — What kind of food is best for your pet?
Parents are welcome at the Pet Care Patch Workshop. However, we ask that chaperoning parents be limited to 2 per group/troop, if applicable, and to leave younger siblings at home. Parents are also asked to refrain from answering their cell phones inside the Education Center during the Workshop.
The cost of this workshop is $15.00 per student.
Full or partial participant cancellation must be received three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop date to receive full refund, minus a 10% processing fee. Cancellations received fewer than three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop are not eligible for a refund.
Registration is completed online and is done on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due at time of registration. Please note there is a maximum of 15 and minimum of 6 students necessary to run the workshop. Multiple groups and/or individuals can sign up for the same workshop date until attendance is at capacity. If a workshop does not reach its minimum, you will be notified one week before your workshop date in order to reschedule or receive a refund.
LOCATIONS & WORKSHOP DATES
Sat, December 16 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sat, January 13 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sun, January 21 I 9:30am-12pm & 1:00pm-3:30pm
Sat, February 3 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sat, February 17 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sun, March 4 I 9:30am-12pm & 1:00pm-3:30pm
Sat, March 17 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sat, March 31 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sat, April 14 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sun, April 29 I 9:30am-12pm & 1:00pm-3:30pm
Sat, May 12 I 1:30pm-4:00pm
Sat, May 26 I 1:30pm-4:00pm