Advanced Pet Care Patch Workshop
WHAT IS INCLUDED
This workshop includes a tour of the shelter and interactive lessons on responsible pet care, pet overpopulation, animal communication, and safety around animals. It is 2 ½ hours long and includes a snack, spcaLA give-a-ways, and an spcaLA Friends for Life iron-on patch.
Each registration comes with a pdf download of a packet of activities that participating children are invited to complete before or after the workshop. A link to the pdf will be emailed to you upon registration. The packet consists of the activities listed below.
- TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS Take care of a pet — yours or someone else’s (friend, neighbor, family member, etc.) — for two weeks. Worksheets are included in the registration packet to help you plan and track your responsibilities.
- ADVENTURES WITH MY PET! Use the template included in the registration packet to create a scrapbook about your pet — or be creative and make your own design! (If you don’t own a pet, create a scrapbook about the animal you cared for in Activity 1.)
- ACTIVITY OF YOUR CHOICE Complete one of the activities listed below using the worksheets included in the registration packet:
- Making a difference — How can you support an organization in your area that helps animals? Note: If you are interested in pursuing an award in the future, we recommend completing this activity because it will help you start to create a plan to help an organization.
- Possible Pets — What kinds of pets would you like to own?
- Pets and Vets — How can you make sure your pet stays healthy and happy?
- Healthy Eating — What kind of food is best for your pet?
Parents are welcome at the Pet Care Patch Workshop. However, we ask that chaperoning parents be limited to 2 per group/troop, if applicable, and to leave younger siblings at home. Parents are also asked to refrain from answering their cell phones inside the Education Center during the Workshop.
LOCATIONS & DATES
Thank you for a great 2019! Check back later for 2020 dates.
spcaLA P.D. Pitchford Companion Animal Village & Education Center SEE MAP
7700 East Spring Street
Long Beach, CA 90815
The cost of this workshop is $15.00 per student.
Full or partial participant cancellation must be received three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop date to receive full refund, minus a 10% processing fee. Cancellations received fewer than three weeks prior to your scheduled workshop are not eligible for a refund.
Registration is completed online and is done on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due at time of registration. Please note there is a maximum of 15 and minimum of 6 students necessary to run the workshop, unless otherwise noted. Multiple groups and/or individuals can sign up for the same workshop date until attendance is at capacity. If a workshop does not reach its minimum, you will be notified one week before your workshop date in order to reschedule or receive a full refund.