Join the Law Enforcement Division
Do you have what it takes to join spcaLA’s finest?
spcaLA is actively recruiting individuals who have successfully completed basic training established by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST) for a Level 1 Reserve Officer or full basic academy.
HUMANE OFFICER SELECTION PROCESS
After you have completed basic training, spcaLA conducts a rigorous selection process, outlined below.
- Application Review: All applications are reviewed and accepted or rejected.
- Written Exam & Physical Abilities Test: Candidates are tested on basic written and reasoning skills as well as strength, agility, and endurance.
- Department Interview: Candidates are interviewed by a panel to assess accomplishments, job motivation, instrumentality, interpersonal and communication skills, and continuous learning orientation.
- Background Investigation: Candidates’ employment, police, financial, education, and military records are checked. Interviews are conducted with family members, friends, neighbors, supervisors, and co-workers.
- Medical & Psychological Evaluation: spcaLA verifies that candidates are in excellent health, with no conditions that would restrict their ability to perform their duties. A psychologist performs individual interviews and evaluations with candidates, to determine their ability to successfully perform the difficult and stressful duties of a Humane Officer.
- Certification: Candidates must have successfully completed all steps in the selection process to be certified and considered for hire.